Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
The next question will be,

Can anybody tell me simple
way for calculating how many cedar shakes are needed for a XXXXsf roof?

·
Pitched Roofer
518 Posts
Thats probaly because the question dont make sense...how many sq's is the building? thats how much 30# you need...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many times have you put cedar shakes on? It goes in between each row of cedar shakes that you put on roof, much more than just sq. feet of roof. Please let somebody answer who has actually put them on correctly before.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I take it you don't have an answer?

Sure I have an answer. Try leting us know how big the house is, or atleast how many shingles needed. You need one run of felt for each run of shakes right? You do know how long your eve edge is right? You know how long of rakes right? Do you know your exposure? How about trying a different tact when asking questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then you know it's 30 lb. paper you put in between layers of shakes and not 15 lb. or you should know. If you don't know a simple way to calculate how much you need for a job, just say so!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anybody tell me simple way for calculating how much 30 lb. paper is needed for cedar shakes?
You will need 30# felt every 8 inches of most cedar shakes. Thirty pound felt gets put between every layer of shingles, with an 8inch exposure every layer. You will need 3 rows for 3 sqs (roll of 30# is 3dtx10ft long) 15% waste on a hipped out roof

1 - 16 of 16 Posts