Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<P>I was recently doing  a roof when one of the guys mentioned a California Cut in relation to water-proffing a valley. I did not know what this is ( I think I may call it by a different name). What is this?</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Andy A</P>
<P>roofing.inogdenarea.com</P>

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
It's usually not at all a "cut" valley at all. A california valley is where you run a shingle verticle up the valley. Then you start your shingle rows off the edge of that vertical shingle in the valley line. Though most manufacturers allow this technique, starting at the edge of the valley may void the warranty for patterning issues. I suppose you can mark your rows and make cuts keeping the pattern thus making it a california "cut" valley, though I have never ever ever seen anyone do it this way. And if you were to actually cut in the valley what's the point you are not saving any time vs a traditional closed cut valley.

I really don't like the california style valley. Faster and easier seldom ever equals better. I try to always do what I feel is best. Same may argue the california valley is better because of the uninterrupted seal strip <shrug>

·
Registered
58 Posts
The no cut valley is a cheap short cut that has gone mainstream. If purchasers saw the difference, good chance they may not go for it.
Its a short cut that's done due to the untrained eye not being able to tell the difference.

Is it good? I don't think so.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Grump,
I guess what I advertise as a California valley is not what's being done on my roofs. Guess I thought it was the one cut down the center method.

With the thin laminates we do the single cut but with the triple layer shingles we do the open painted valley with the "california" valley.

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
Grump,
I guess what I advertise as a California valley is not what's being done on my roofs. Guess I thought it was the one cut down the center method.

With the thin laminates we do the single cut but with the triple layer shingles we do the open painted valley with the "california" valley.
Can you post a pic of how you do it without the metal, I'm havinga hard time visioning what you mean cut down the center.

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
Yes Sky, that is exactly what a California valley is referred to around here. Note how it looks like the shingles were started off the valley. Maybe they were cut, I don't know. If cut it'd be nicer if they were cut on an angle to match the valley vertical shingle. Wouldn't you agree

I wouldn't for a minute call the valley shaz posted a cut valley in any way shape or form. Where's the cuts? Closed yes. Cut no.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I wouldn't for a minute call the valley shaz posted a cut valley in any way shape or form. Where's the cuts? Closed yes. Cut no.
depending on the slope and stagger I could see you having to cut the end of the shingles right? I dont know...

I didnt like this when I saw it. It wasnt stuck I could reach up underneath it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.