Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened my roofing company last spring....

But I have not found Good solid way to produce roofs...

I also have a painting company for the last 5 years or sooo....the lead process is not he same at all...painting is easy...I throw an ad in the newspaper and easily get decent paying jobs...

As for roofing...I ont get the serous clients who want full tear offs rarely...I get "replace a gutter" "fix 10 pieces of rsding" nothing of value...
Any ideas?

Its also hard because I put so much of my time and effort into painting...

I really want a website, but can't find an affordable company to do it....

I use footbridge for painting....there awesome but my area is taken in roofing with them....

It just seems like roofing advertising is just plain out more expensive..
I can throw a painting add out there for $100 and easily get a hand full of bids and a few thousand in work....

What is your take on the situation ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a crew who does all the work.. I do help tear off and clean up... Deliver the tools and pick up... I do all the estimates and measuring myself...I know the process for the most part ..obviously i couldnt be left alone to run the job myself but i understand it..

we dont have much work though..... im pretty decent with the sales process... ive yet to be stumped by a home owner....

its really just getting the bids were having trouble with...or atleast the ones i want...

we tryed subbing but considering im not on all the jobs...its hard to make money with it....

·
Roofologist
201 Posts
Where are you located?
What is the population of your service region?
Are you in a storm region? Hail, wind, etc?

Plan on flailing for awhile. It takes a lot of money to figure out exactly what works.

There are a lot of threads around here that address advertising. It not a one size fits all type of thing.

·
Ben Landers
20 Posts
Maybe this is a stupid question, but did you create a business plan for the roofing business? Did you create a budget? If it were EASY to just up and create a roofing company, generate leads, and make a bunch of money, everyone would be a roofer ;)

Growing a business takes money and/or time and/or intelligence and/or creativity. You can succeed with a mix or an extreme abundance of any one of them. At present, I'm trying to determine which asset you bring to the table. So far, it sounds like money and time are out. Let's hope you're smart and creative ;)

What have you tested? Just the newspaper ads?

Have you taken the time to determine your max cost per acquisition for various types of roofing jobs (from full tear offs to replacing a few shingles)?

Before you invest in marketing, you might want to build a marketing model based on the economics of your new business (using assumptions if you don't have enough data yet).

Any ideas?

Its also hard because I put so much of my time and effort into painting...

I really want a website, but can't find an affordable company to do it....
1. Build a website. Use another company. Budget $2,500 - $5,000 for it. Don't have that much? Paint more houses. Save money. Re-start roofing business.

A good website can generate a hundred qualified leads per month. It's NOT a place to be penny-wise and pound foolish. Every time I hear a contractor tell me that they can't afford $5,000 for a website, I think, "are you out of your friggin' mind?"

It's like trying to start a home service business and saying you can't afford a truck/van. Okay, I get it. You don't have any money. But you can't exactly pull a red wagon full of tools around town on your bicycle. You've got to find a way to afford a truck/van.

A website isn't that much different.

I know, I know, your buddy only paid $250 for his website. Stop following your buddies. Most of them don't know what they're doing either.

2. Invest in SEO

3. Test PPC

(I'm sure we're going to see a dozen responses that PPC doesn't work. Candidly, 90% of you probably mismanaged your account. Another 5% didn't test it long enough. It does not work in all markets, but it's not because PPC doesn't work - it's typically because either a) your competitors are idiots and are overpaying for clicks or b) your sales process stinks which results in you not being able to afford to pay a high enough cost per click to generate the clicks necessary to get profitable sales)

I use footbridge for painting....there awesome but my area is taken in roofing with them....
If you get a decent flow of leads for the painting business, can't you get a crew to run and manage those jobs so that you can focus 90% on getting the roofing business up to speed?

It just seems like roofing advertising is just plain out more expensive..
I can throw a painting add out there for $100 and easily get a hand full of bids and a few thousand in work....
What's the average revenue associated with a roofing job?

How does it compare to your painting business?

My guess is that roofing jobs would be more. The ads are more expensive, but not within the context of the margin on the line (your margins might stink in the beginning, but you're not competing in the ad space with yourself - you're competing against companies that already have roofing dialed in!).

If painting is comparable, stick to painting. Clearly, you've got some elements of it figured out. Incidentally, Harvard Business did a study about companies that try to get into ancillary lines of business. Guess what they found? Most fail. What should they do instead? Get better at what they already do. According to their study, there's way more money and profit to be had by becoming the BEST painting company than there is for your roofing division.

Hope this helps.

Ben

·
Registered
8 Posts
In my experience marketing roofing companies, most are fly by night and the industry has a huge distaste for these types of contractors. I would suggest creating a business plan and thinking long term, not just trying to go for the quick money. You will find that reputation and trust is a major factor when buying a roof.

·
Roof Hail Damage
64 Posts
You nailed it. So many new companies. I used to write down all the new ones when we had a storm. I used to have a contest all summer long for my reps when I GM'd another company for whoever brought me the most business cards from competitors. They would get 100 bucks and the guy who brought in the most companies I never heard of would get 50. I emphasize business cards because you get those form customers you sign and guys arent stealing yard signs. I used to get like 50-60 new companies every summer. Somewhere I have a shoebox full of defunct and out of business companies.

In my experience marketing roofing companies, most are fly by night and the industry has a huge distaste for these types of contractors. I would suggest creating a business plan and thinking long term, not just trying to go for the quick money. You will find that reputation and trust is a major factor when buying a roof.

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
You nailed it. So many new companies. I used to write down all the new ones when we had a storm. I used to have a contest all summer long for my reps when I GM'd another company for whoever brought me the most business cards from competitors. They would get 100 bucks and the guy who brought in the most companies I never heard of would get 50. I emphasize business cards because you get those form customers you sign and guys arent stealing yard signs. I used to get like 50-60 new companies every summer. Somewhere I have a shoebox full of defunct and out of business companies.
I used to pay a bonus for competitor contracts/proposals (scalps).

·
Roof Hail Damage
64 Posts
I had to end up changing it to business cards because guys would bring in signs.

One lady gave me a stack of 30 cards from guys telling her she needed a new roof. She was in her 80's and a widow, she didnt need a new roof. When her sons house needed a new roof 5 months later he called me and I gave her a 200 dollar referral reward. My company paid for some of her prescriptions and things she needed.

·
Roof Hail Damage
64 Posts
The best way to get good leads:
  • Build a good company with quality people.
  • Use the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid
  • Take care of the customers you have.
  • High quality workmanship. It costs more but it pays off long term.
  • Company safety plan. Avoid OSHA at all costs. Invest into fall protection, first aid kits and hydration. Have safety meetings and classes.
  • Word spreads when youre a good company. Customers come to you. When you do have to go get customers you've laid the groundwork on selling them on why they should go with you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Basically i need a good web site.... Im really amazed on how different painting and roofing are.....

the advertising is soo much easier for painting... I can see how trust is a big issue... i just need a fool proof way to get jobs that is affordable...obviously i dont have a ton of money considering the majority of it goes into painting....

i was going to try angies list...i do good on the painting end... but roofing is $700/ month vs the $316 i pay for the painting.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Telemarketing and Residential Roofing

Telemarketing And Roofing
I have been in and around Residential Roofing for many years and we were always looking for ways to replace door knocking. Door knocking could take up to a week to canvas 60 residents to find those who will allow you on top of their homes to assess for damage. Mail flyers have such a poor return that we were excited to even get one call. SEO is a necessary evil but the competition is worse than door knocking!
What's left?
Telemarketing? Sure, but hiring and managing a team of telemarketers can be expensive, and take a lot of work that I would rather be putting into my own business.
Hiring a telemarketing service?
Here's how:
To find the best telemarketing service for you is going to be more than cost. Of course, find one that is reasonable or even awesomely priced, but also make sure that they will specifically target the area you know is damaged. There are telemarketing centers that will allow you to choose the area and will allow you to change the destination area at the end of one phone call.
I have never been a fan of contracts. I do not want to have to pay for a service for the next six months that I haven't even tried out yet. Find a service that will allow you to pay for a set amount of appointments; a package deal.
Ask how many other contractors will be receiving these leads. There are centers that will only give your leads to you.
Ask for references, then call them. Make sure that they are not only satisfied with their services, but that they were not being sent on small repairs and that their leads were not being given to others. How easy was it to participate in the calling process? How easy was it to have a bad lead replaced? What was the customer service like?

Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think you need to advertise as much as you can, and measure each ad. Kill unprofitable advertising methods, scale up profitable ones. You'll figure it out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In my 5 years of experience of working with roofing contractors across the country I have learned that the best way to generate roofing leads has been: Telemarketing, Door Knocking, Online Marketing and specifically targeting Roof Repairs throughout your service area and Full Color Ads in Home Magazine Mailers. These 4 methods have always been mentioned as the most consistent and best way to generate exclusive roofing leads.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do not want to disagree with others at all - but it does not take anything near $2500 or $5000 to set up a decent website. Instead of the scam types that email you about it go to the local college and find somebody that can do Wordpress on one of the 1000 or so free templates and have a website set up including domain and all for $300-$500 and 1/3rd that if you want to screw around with it yourself.

So far as why only the repair jobs, until you are known , you will not be high on anybody's list to call. They have not seen your signs in front of the neighbors houses and nobody they know has used you, and you may or may not have references.

Ask for what you want in the advertisements - Instead of saying all roofing work say special discount pricing on full roofs and tearoffs... Until you are really comfortable with the crew that is doing it though I cannot imagine you not being there to see what is going on with them and to make sure it is you that is the face of that business as well. Otherwise you are really subcontracting even though you don't know it and only difference is you are the only one that can take a loss.

If you have a good client list from painting jobs do a mailer to then letting them know you are now doing roofs as well and if they liked your other work you may get some business or referral business from them. Just a few ideas...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I spent too many years in a cubicle before learning that outside sales is what I was good at. In that time, database and Web design are two things I learned that prove very useful in this industry. I'll help anyone with their website. Let me know what you need and I'll let you know what I can do.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I also have a painting company for the last 5 years or sooo....the lead process is not he same at all...painting is easy...I throw an ad in the newspaper and easily get decent paying jobs...

What is your take on the situation ?
Here is the Solution to you getting more business.

1. Have a nice looking website that has 2 mandatory things on it. First, have your phone number above the fold (near or at the top). Second, have a place for customers to email there contact info and email address.

2. Get your website on the 1st page of Google. If you know SEO, than perfect. If not, than find somebody who will do SEO for you. DO NOT pay anything over $600 a month for this service and DO NOT hire any of those annoying telemarketers for call you every other week to do SEO or web design for your business.

3. Wait for your website to rank. Depending on how competitive your city or are is, you should start seeing some results in about 45-60 days. After 3-6 months you should be dominating the 1st page of Google.

4. Answer your phone. Once ranked and again depend on your area, its not uncommon to have 50+ leads a month coming in.

The best part is these are live roofing leads for ONLY you. These leads are 100 times better than any Home Advisor or Angie's List Service because with these services, its not only expensive, that lead is also sold to several other roofing companies that you will then have to compete against.

If you want to see a few examples, feel free to PM me. I would be happy to show you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
be sure to market your roofing side with all of your painting clients. If you've already built up a customer base that trusts you then you'll have a much easier time getting a call when they need roofing services too. Beyond that, I'd advise you to hire a marketing agency or signing up on a lead gen site. In either case, it's important to look for reputation and to give the guys some thing to market, honestly. Do the best quality work you can and they'll be able to present a much more convincing look for you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts