Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call yesterday from a homeowner telling me her roof was leaking.
We did her roof 4 years ago and this was the first time it leaked.
Right of the bat i was thinking to myself... gotta be the attic vents.
So i go out to her house and she takes me inside to show me the leak,
she had a stain about the size of a dinner plate on her ceiling, and a five
gallon bucket on her floor catching the drips. I go outside and line the stain up with where it would be coming in from the roof and sure as :censored:
it lines up right over an attic vent. So i get up and pop the vent up and look inside the hole and yes there it was , snow in the attic... most of it had already melted so there wasn't much i could do... the damage had already been done. If her insurance won't cover the damage to her ceiling
then we will have to. It seems like over the last few years we have been dealing more and more with this happening. We now cut a 12"x12" piece of furnace filter material and stuff it inside the vent which seems to stop this from happening.... also weed barrier fabric nailed over the hole works. Is anyone else runing into this situation? BTW we use Leigh 505 turtle type vents. 99% of the homes here have those.

·
Registered
755 Posts
We now cut a 12"x12" piece of furnace filter material and stuff it inside the vent which seems to stop this from happening.... also weed barrier fabric nailed over the hole works.
Why bother even putting those vents on the roof in the first place, especially if you are going to nearly eliminate any chances of air flowage by blocking them with those filters?

Swithc to an externally baffled Ridge Vent, like shingle Vent II and they will perform better and also not leak rain or snow if installed correctly.

Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts