Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Well welcome to this site anyways.

I agree, but what the heck.....it's winter and I am looking out at 5" of fresh snow and temperatures in the Teens, Again.....!!!

Ed

·
Registered
89 Posts
Think of these as extensions of contractortalk.com for those who want to just talk to people in their own trade.

Glad to have you!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Well, I just got done getting my snowblower running from some left over bad gfas from last year and cleaned off my front parking lot and I noticed on the radar, that the predicted storm has finally entered the local doppler radar image.

At least the temperatures will be warm enough to work tomorrow. 32* will seem like a heat wave. We still have the mansard roof to do, so we actually realistically should get most of the day in tomorrow.

Here is the fricking forecast below:

Ed

For 12-18-08:

Tonight: A chance of snow before 9pm, then snow and sleet between 9pm and midnight, then snow after midnight. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Temperature rising to around 25 by 4am. East southeast wind between 5 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Friday: Snow, mainly before noon. High near 32. Northeast wind between 10 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND ONE FOOT ARE POSSIBLE

ACROSS FAR NORTH CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST ILLINOIS BY FRIDAY
MORNING...TAPERING TO 3 TO 5 INCHES CLOSER TO INTERSTATE 80.
AREAS FARTHER SOUTH WILL EXPERIENCE SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATION.

TOTAL ICE ACCUMULATION IN EXCESS OF A HALF INCH IS POSSIBLE
BETWEEN INTERSTATE 80 AND US-24 BY FRIDAY MORNING. PRECIPITATION

IS EXPECTED TO DIMINISH FROM WEST TO EAST BETWEEN 9 AM AND NOON FRIDAY.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I got around 12" to 14" in Algonquin, but where my Mansard Job is, in Elgin, they only got about 5".

I have two guys out there right now with a snow rake to clean it off, before it melts and freezes, so we can finish the walk-on top part and concentrate on the mansard.

We are leaving out the bottom row of shingles and the starter course, until we get the top row on the mansard, so we can easily fit the apron flashing on without lifting and cracking the bottom shingles.

Ed

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Expert Roofer
134 Posts
Welcome Pearce,glad to have you,here in NY we got 8" yesterday afternoon

·
Registered
755 Posts
This post is from www.ContractorTalk.com

I was commenting on how foolish people get when they have a little snow to contend with and that they should get their lazy butts out of the car and shovel for a few minutes and they would never get stuck.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer
New Years Eve, 1978, Day/79, I drove all the way from Palos Heights to Highland Park, just to get to a party.

Smooth driving all the way, right behind an IDOT Snow Plow on I-294 the entire trip.

Just learn how to drive. Everyone got so uptight about our wee-itsy-bitsy snow just because Byrne made such a big deal about it to beat Bilandec back in those days.

Go to the UP in Michigan and see what there average snowfalls are, or Buffalo NY, and they deal with it alright.

Same thing goes for getting stuck when parked. Pull out a friggin shovel before you ice up your tire tracks from spinning the wheels. How that heck did people ever survive before 4-WD and ABS Brakes?

Ed

So, just about, right after I posted this earlier today, What The Heck Do You Think Happened?

Clue: Blonde

Yeah,

My wife was going to leave to visit her Mom in the hospital, but she didn't think the snow was too deep for her car to drive through.

As my parents used to tell me, when I told them I didn't think about whatever.....

She Didn't Think!!!

So, instead of calling me to use my freshly repaired snowblower, she tries to drive right through this chit.

Well, I'm not going to get upset with her at all. I was just kidding about the Furios Smiley. She has been going through an awful lot these past 3 weeks. Her Mom is in the Hospital with an Aortic Disection Type II and severe pneumonia problem, where they had to medically sedate her into a Coma for 2 1/2 weeks.

BUT:
Here is a photo of my boy, Little Eddie, helping me dig out the bottom of the driveway.

So, Do You Think She Had A Snowballs Chance In Hell To Get Through That Pile?

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't remember this much snow before Christmas....we have at least 12", with more on the way.

the next 2 weeks are tough on the work schedule, so I guess it's not a big deal. Just another day in New England.

I'd like to see more threads on how you guy's deal with the snow for job sites. I bring a snow blower to make room for dumpsters and a clear area for ladders etc.

The delays and added costs are a profit buster. do you guys charge more, or just chock it up to the cost of doing business?

·
Expert Roofer
134 Posts
COST OF DOING BUSINESS IN WINTER,USE A TARP TO COVER ROOFS,AND WILL USE SNOW RAKES for snow removal,tarps on the ground,so the mess doesn`t mix with the snow,and make us remove the snow from their yard-here`s the view from my window in New York :

1 - 13 of 13 Posts