Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my county there is a government office called the Office of Community and housing development. This office provides "emergency repair" loans for hvac, electrical, plumbing and roofing. The applicant must meet the income and equity requirements in order to participate. This is ideally suited to the retiree on a fixed income, or someone who is out of work for a while.

The program provides interest free loans up to 13K, with no payments for 30 years or you sell the home, whichever comes first. I've been told this is federal funding therefore this may assist you if you can locate the program in your area.

I had no clue about this untill a H.O. told me about it. I usually get the job when I refer someone to this program because none of my competitors are aware of this, or they would have offered it to the H.O. before I did.

James

·
Registered
754 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the web link to my local program....ohcd.sarasotagov.com/ .....I don't know if this is only local or not Ed, I'm sure you will be able to tell me that soon.

I have no idea what the 203K program is.

The purpose of the post was to inform others of possible local, obscure programs that not only benefit the community, but provide sales to contractors as well.

I will expand on this post as well. In my market there is a organization named the senior friendship center. This state funded program is designed to help seniors stay in their homes instead of an assisted living facility. I have 20K in sales this year ( two roofs) from this organization. They just buy the roofs for qualified clients without any loans.
Of course the center does much more as far as social activities and what have you.

The message here is that with a little research, you too may find similar programs in your area. I stumbled upon these by accident, and now I wonder how many more are out there that I don't know about yet. Furthermore, with the current political environment,
these type of programs may increase in size and scope.

James

·
Registered
754 Posts
That is a good tip though, to seek out which manners of free or Low Interest or Interest Deferred Loans and Grants that are out there to utilize to get some customers some affordable necessities.

Paul, with the UserName of "SiverTree" on Contractor Talk has a very informative thread topic about the 203(k) Loan program and has a lot of information about it on his website.

Ed

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
I know various "working class" villages and cities around here do very much the same. We once replaced a roof on a trailer home double wide and had a total wood replacement. I joked to someone, other than the home owner, that the roof cost more than the trailer. Anywho the project was funded by the city and I had to submit my invoices to the city and got my check from the city.

·
Registered
754 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks DO you know of anything or Miami Dade County or Broward
They had a low income roof program. Not sure if it is still running or not. Contact the building dept. and ask for Mark.

James, thanks for the info. It got me doing some research and I found a program local in some areas that will pay 50% for new roofs in the redevelopment areas... I am going to go back to all my bids in those areas and offer to help sign them up... I'm sure it will add quite a few jobs to the board... Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have a similar funding program here in Canada that we've done quite a bit of work for. It's sponsored through the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation and it's called Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program or RRAP for short in case there are any other Canuck roofers out there. The link to the program is below in case you'd like to refer any of your clients.

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/prfinas/prfinas_001.cfm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man, I am so mad right now. I just typed out this really awesome post and inquiry, and some how double tapped my backspace key and lost the whole thing because my browser backed up, and when I took it back forward, it was nowhere to be found. I am borderline livid right now. No way am I typing out that well thought out question again, so I am just gonna shorten it up.

If you are a salesperson that sells peace of mind and quality, over the lowest price, is a program like this that requires the city to take the lowest bidder even worth it to get involved with? Keep in mind I am a bleeding heart to the bone, but I don't run the company I work for. Is it worth it to lower the standards of your service so that you can compete with the folks on the approved lists for programs like this?

From a business stand point, absolutely not. But I do a lot of door knocking, and it kills me when I see older people that get denied by their insurance, or own their home outright, and don't even have insurance. Reading this thread gave me something that I can give them instead of just a sorry, you're out of luck with me.

They certainly aren't gonna get the best service or product, but at least I know that they might be able to get some help, whether my company does it or not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In my program the h.o. can take whatever bid they choose, although excessively high bids will be questioned by the local office person in charge. I gave a minor concession once.

James

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks For The Info

In my county there is a government office called the Office of Community and housing development. This office provides "emergency repair" loans for hvac, electrical, plumbing and roofing. The applicant must meet the income and equity requirements in order to participate. This is ideally suited to the retiree on a fixed income, or someone who is out of work for a while.
James: This is really great info. Looks like they have a program like this in most municipalities although some seem to have suspended it. Shocking how something this important for homeowners and contractors alike just isn't publicized.

Great advice here...Much appreciated.

----------------

Roofing Florida

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not how it works here. It's the ole, get three bids and take the lowest. Doesn't stop me from giving these people the info they otherwise didn't have to make this happen though. Sure it takes six months, but it's better than nothing.

I have a packet I finally put together explaining the three different programs my municipality offers... My boss let me use the company printer and Ink to print it up, and toss fifty or so of them in my bag when I go out banging doors.

It wasn't good business decision to sign of for the preferred contractors list for these programs, but it was good for him to let me do this.... we weren't concerned with those small ass roofs that weren't gonna get bought anyways. But I was.

·
StartARoofingBusiness
168 Posts
Roofing Programs For Home Owners

I really feel there should be some low cost government low interest loans for home owners to fix up their homes to save energy.

The tax credit thing for $1500 doesn't even help at all....

Does anyone want to save energy!:yes:

The program provides interest free loans up to 13K, with no payments for 30 years or you sell the home, whichever comes first. I've been told this is federal funding therefore this may assist you if you can locate the program in your area.

I had no clue about this untill a H.O. told me about it. I usually get the job when I refer someone to this program because none of my competitors are aware of this, or they would have offered it to the H.O. before I did.

James

·
Registered
127 Posts
Here we have whats called a "city rebate" where the city actually pays for the job. Its always on rundown, old houses with 3-5 layers of chit and a re-deck.

The upside is the pay through the nose.

The downside is you have to wait 6-8weeks to get the check, which is always sent to the home owner with both their name and your company name on the check, so it has to be endorsed by both. A few times I had trouble with the home owner not wanting to sign the check over(how often do these people have a check for over 10grand in their hands with their name on it?) even though they cant do anything with it unless I endorse it also.

Sadly, we are just not at the level my dads company was at when I did these and we cannot afford to wait 6-8 weeks to be paid just yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.