Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 year old house, and every year I have to get shingles replaced when It gets a bit windy.
All the homes around me do fine...Why are mine coming off so easy?

When I look at them closely I see that the ends have curled up

Is there some kind of guarantee on these shingles?

Thanks for any advice

Ron

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would make a bet it an installation problem. Most likely your shingles are high nailed. In very windy situations these high nailed shingles have a tendency to blow off where as a properly nailed shingled roof should and usually does escape blow offs.
If your house is only 4 years old and houses around you were built at the same time and have no problems,then its most likely the installer.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Like Grumpy said, but also answer the following questions.....

Was it installed at a new construction site in the windy and dusty summertime?

Or,

Where they installed while it was raining or snowing?

The adhesive may not have been able to seal if the contact surface was contaminated, so add that to the incorrect nailing pattern potential and you should see this occuring more frequently each year.

If they blow off on multiple sections and in large enough quantities, it may be covered by your homeowners insurance policy.

Ed

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Homeowners policy Is a $1000 detuctable.
They came back and replace the missing shingles (1/2 a bundle) I just got the bill for $800 Bucks!
The roof was done In the winter and the shingles are CRC
If I was younger I would get up there myself and do them

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
CRC are crap and proof positive that we shouldn't be roofing with asphalt shingles in the winter. Like Ed said the seal strip can become contaminated and then will never stick.

$800 for half a bundle? Let's see that'd be 4 man hours... $320. 1 bundle of shingles, nails, caulk (including markup)... $55. Mobilization... $150. Hmmm I need to raise my prices. I'd have been $525.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I recently have been repairing several roofs that have had shingles blown off after a couple of winds storms we have had here in the past few months.
Almost all of these situations the roofs were less than 10 years old.
We have not found any particular shingle brand that seems prone to blow offs. We have been repairing, IKO, BP, CertainTeed,GAF, CRC etc.
Most of these roofs were installed in the winter and the sealing feature is nowhere near what it would be if they were installed in the dry hot roofing season. Almost all of the shingles that had blown away were not nailed in the proper nailing locations, high nailed, nails were 3-4 inches in from ends of shingles etc.
Just last week I got a call from a lady wanting a few shingles replaced, I ended up on the street for 2 days repairing several houses.
This company that charged you $ 800.00, have they done your previous roof repairs as well?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CRC are crap and proof positive that we shouldn't be roofing with asphalt shingles in the winter. Like Ed said the seal strip can become contaminated and then will never stick.

$800 for half a bundle? Let's see that'd be 4 man hours... $320. 1 bundle of shingles, nails, caulk (including markup)... $55. Mobilization... $150. Hmmm I need to raise my prices. I'd have been $525.
I supplied the shingles!!!!! They sent 3 guys...3 hrs each

The shingles are curling all over the whole roof The type are CRC Renaissance-XL

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I recently have been repairing several roofs that have had shingles blown off after a couple of winds storms we have had here in the past few months.
Almost all of these situations the roofs were less than 10 years old.
We have not found any particular shingle brand that seems prone to blow offs. We have been repairing, IKO, BP, CertainTeed,GAF, CRC etc.
Most of these roofs were installed in the winter and the sealing feature is nowhere near what it would be if they were installed in the dry hot roofing season. Almost all of the shingles that had blown away were not nailed in the proper nailing locations, high nailed, nails were 3-4 inches in from ends of shingles etc.
Just last week I got a call from a lady wanting a few shingles replaced, I ended up on the street for 2 days repairing several houses.
This company that charged you $ 800.00, have they done your previous roof repairs as well?
Yes they have Its started the first year...Hey these guys are the original Installers of the roof

This Is the repair they did this time...Can you see the way the shingles have curled?

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
I hate to comment on other companies billing and business practices without getting the other side of the story, so I will not state that they should be doing the repairs on their own improper nailing patterns.

I would suggest that you negotiate a reduced fee for the warranty work.

I do not believe the 3rd man was necessary. He was sort of like an add-on to increase the repair bill.

Anything is negotiable.

How long was their workmanship warranty?

New construction is typically only One Year.

Ed

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There not giving me any break on the price of the repairs....That's where I think There being unfair...I don't mind paying for the job but you can see the picture...800 bucks.
I looked at one full shingle that got ripped off and there's 2 nail hole within a inch of each other...thats where It ripped... just like me getting ripped...the nails on one shingle are right on the glue strip. I think I should get another roofer In and take a look at the roof...like you said
Hey guys thaks for listening to me vent...and thanks for any tips or advice

·
Slate and Metal Roofer
435 Posts
Something isn't right. I know that if I had installed them correctly, I'd have repaired them for free. And I'd have have the man. rep. out there and raising cain about what it's doing to my rep. Has the rep been out? If I thought they were installed wrong, I'd go after the roofer and i sure wouldn't want the same guy on my roof again.

Everybody else was right on the other issue, so I abstain from commenting on those issues.

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
3 men to replace a bundle of shingles? Well ok, OSHA says you should have 2 men on a job site but having that 2nd man is there just to satisfy osha requirements. I figured on man 1 hour on site, if I had to have 2 men on site, add another $320.

Why would you PAY the schlocks who screwed up your roof in the first place to honor their responsibilities? If I had to pay, I'd pay anyone but the guys who screwed it up. Where can I get in on this deal? I should change my warranty to a lifetime time warranty where the customer supplies materials and I supply labor at the current rate. Sweet deal!

·
Slate and Metal Roofer
435 Posts
"Why would you PAY the schlocks who screwed up your roof in the first place to honor their responsibilities? If I had to pay, I'd pay anyone but the guys who screwed it up. Where can I get in on this deal? I should change my warranty to a lifetime time warranty where the customer supplies materials and I supply labor at the current rate. Sweet deal!"

Well put. My clients wouldn't pay me endlessly like that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
These guys have been here 4 times before this event ...now they send 1 man with a ladder...he looks at the job for 1 hr and says no way he can do this by him self.
Ok 2 hrs later 2 other roofer roll In then boom bang they get the job done..and then they missed some that got ripped off...not down to the boards but missing singles...any way they said the boss would be calling me......No call I called him...get the blond at the desk...I'm guessing shes blond...long story... but no call from boss man...they just fire out a big bill...If I have t o pay this 800 bucks... I have no fire wood for this month...and still stuck with a bad roof

·
Registered
46 Posts
You may want to contact CRC and see if you can get a rep out to see why the shingles are blowing off.
In my opinion the Renaissance-XL is a over priced lower grade shingle, they had a spider cracking problem, apparently it's been improved or corrected with the newer GXL. I have only installed two roofs using the gxl and only because the customers insisted on using them and couldn't be convinced otherwise.
I agree the third guy was totally unnecessary, you should of asked them why so many guys and negotiated a lower price. If you feel that you are being taken advantage of, you may want to look toward getting another roofing company look after your roof.
But the bottom line is you should not need a roofing company come in and repair blown off shingles each time the wind blows a little hard. Find out why this is happening and hopefully take a course of action.

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
These guys have been here 4 times before this event ...now they send 1 man with a ladder...he looks at the job for 1 hr and says no way he can do this by him self.
Ok 2 hrs later 2 other roofer roll In then boom bang they get the job done..and then they missed some that got ripped off...not down to the boards but missing singles...any way they said the boss would be calling me......No call I called him...get the blond at the desk...I'm guessing shes blond...long story... but no call from boss man...they just fire out a big bill...If I have t o pay this 800 bucks... I have no fire wood for this month...and still stuck with a bad roof
Do they have a signed contract with you? If not there is no legal binding method they can force you to pay this. I wouldn't pay it.

Do you really spend $800 a month heating your house. and if so wouldn't an alternative fuel to fire wood be cheaper?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts