How can I get better leads through google adwords? - Business, Marketing, and Sales - Contractor Talk

How can I get better leads through google adwords?

Old 07-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #1

Trade:

How can I get better leads through google adwords?

We have been advertising on Google Adwords for almost a year now using a wide range of keywords like "roofers" and "roofing companies". We are only advertising in cities closeby, but our leads are still hit or miss. Sometimes we even get people who have a small roof leak or only want a few shingles replaced. How can we get better leads? Is there something wrong with our keywords?

Advertisement

Last edited by bwright; 07-23-2018 at 09:43 PM. Reason: typo
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. RoofingTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #2

Trade:

Re: How can I get better leads through google adwords?

I have been on watch on an answer on this... If i am successful i will be sure to inform you.
Cathy | Contractor | Website
Old 08-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #3

Trade:

You need to have better targeting and you need to be more relevant

2 biggest mistakes people do with adwords:

1. they don't use a landing page. they just drive traffic to the homepage or the main service page.

That's not enough. It has too many distractions.

You need a landing page that doesn't have a navigation. It's only a one page setup. And just show your: pictures (before and after), reviews, trust signals (badges like bbb+), enough call to actions

2. You targetting is wrong. Don't know if you know but on Adwords you can target a keyword in multiple ways.

So I don't get too technical with this post, just use phrase match targeting and add every keyword combination:

roofing contractor + city
roofing company + city
roof replacement + city
every type of roofing you offer + city.

#selfpromotion:
I have a complete guide on how roofers can run adwords successfully. You can download it on this link:
https://profitroofingsystems.com/adwords-guide
Old 01-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #4

Trade: Commercial/Industrial
Send a message via Skype™ to 5 Star Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattj View Post
You need to have better targeting and you need to be more relevant

2 biggest mistakes people do with adwords:

1. they don't use a landing page. they just drive traffic to the homepage or the main service page.

That's not enough. It has too many distractions.

You need a landing page that doesn't have a navigation. It's only a one page setup. And just show your: pictures (before and after), reviews, trust signals (badges like bbb+), enough call to actions

2. You targetting is wrong. Don't know if you know but on Adwords you can target a keyword in multiple ways.

So I don't get too technical with this post, just use phrase match targeting and add every keyword combination:

roofing contractor + city
roofing company + city
roof replacement + city
every type of roofing you offer + city.

#selfpromotion:
I have a complete guide on how roofers can run adwords successfully. You can download it on this link:
https://profitroofingsystems.com/adwords-guide
Matt,

All excellent advise. I'd add that the best campaigns are so laser-focused that they often only have a single modified broad match phrase pointing to a very, very specific landing page.

That's the strategy we use and to add on to what Matt said, be sure to negative out the phrases from the other campaigns so that your ads are not competing against each other. Example:

Campaign A = +bitumen +roof +city (add the word flat as a negative)

Campaign B = +flat +roof +city (add the word bitumen as a negative)

I'd also be sure to go through your search terms a couple of times a month and look for keywords that are not relevant. Unless your campaign is specifically for finding employees, I would go ahead and add these to your negative list:

job
career
hiring
resume
training
courses
certification

I hope that helps!
Old 01-09-2019, 05:57 PM   #5

Trade: Roofing

Yeah, I hear one of the main optimization levers for Google Adwords is actually by making sure to grow your negative keyword list.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #6

Trade: Commercial/Industrial
Send a message via Skype™ to 5 Star Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsaConstructionRoofing View Post
Yeah, I hear one of the main optimization levers for Google Adwords is actually by making sure to grow your negative keyword list.
Here's a few to start out with. We noticed that there are a lot of automotive/RV related searches and also job seekers that are not relevant. I have added these and several more to all of our campaigns:

auto
rv
car
truck
van
dodge
ford
chevy
chrysler
jeep
pontiac
toyota
nissan
job
career
application

I think people are looking for sunroof parts most of the time.

Another thing to do is to build out a huge exclusion list. Believe it or not, they will actually show ads out of your target locations from time to time and waste your budget. We upload a list of 240 countries for every campaign to prevent most of that from happening.