Custom repairs for High & steep roofs pricing? - Business, Marketing, and Sales - Contractor Talk

Custom repairs for High & steep roofs pricing?

Old 02-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #1

Trade:

Custom repairs for High & steep roofs pricing?

I have been the the trades for 18 years mostly focused on residential construction & roofing however the last few years we got into commercial flat roof. We have an opportunity to take on high end condos & homes at a local Ski resort, with steep pitched roofs with the majority being many stories off ground. Most of the work is repairs as a result of snow damage. Having the proper safety gear etc. I know even the smallest repair/ inspection will take a great deal of preparation. Could I get some input from you all on how or what to charge for these services/Would I charge a high minimum plus hourly of (?) & materials etc? Thanks

Advertisement

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. RoofingTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #2

Trade: Commercial/Anything with little to no slope.

Re: Custom repairs for High & steep roofs pricing?

Do you not charge hourly + materials + Over head + taxes now?

If you do all you need to figure out is how much extra to charge for a difficult job.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Roofing Relapse

Read this link: http://hangupthebelt.com/2011/how-mu...-i-charge-for/

How do you plan to charge? Time and material or fixed bid?

It's like pricing any other job, figure out your costs, take your best guess as to labor, add on your over head, your profit, and something extra for unknowns. Sell the job.

If you are asking us to help you price the job, our pricing is meaningless to your situation. What someone else charges may be enough for them, heck might not even be enough for them and they just don't know it. But you haven't given enough information for any of us to even formulate a guess.

One piece of advice I can offer is basically the taller the job, or the more complex, or if you are out side of your comfort zone that variable "Add something for unknowns" should be a little higher on a job you've never done before than on a job you do all the time. For example, we recently completed a 16 story flat roof. To date our tallest job, 3x taller than any previous job. What I didn't account for when pricing the job was the lost time riding up and down the elevator. I didn't lose my ass but I didn't make as much as I thought I should.

http://www.illinoisroofinspections.com
Old 02-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
Roofologist

Trade: Commercial and Residential Roofing, Siding, Seamless

T&M plus+++++,

We are in the same goegraphical region and do some high mountain repairs (Not close enough to cross paths). If it were me I wouldn't show up for less than 300hr plus mileage and fuel. That would include all of our (basic) safety equipment, tools, and 2 helpers. This does not include scaffolding or larger items. Safety harness, ropes, roof jacks, etc is all I would include in the safety equip. Additional protection will be extra.

Don't forget mobilization costs. It takes time to get there and set up! It takes as much time, if not more to break it all down and take it back to the shop.

Also, if you are working on commercial buildings you should plan on finding some sort of scaffolding to install above the doors and a safety watch on the ground.

Another thing. Rich people don't like to pay. They will pay the job start up but often hold out the final payment in order to negotiate a lower payment (settlement). CHARGE ACCORDINGLY and plan on chasing money!

If you are dealing with a property management company it is a bit easier to deal with. They basically take the amount from their monthly rent payments and pay you directly. The left over goes to the owner. At least thats how it works with my rentals.

As grumpy said. A bit more detail will go along way here. There are some brilliant minds on this site that are willing to help you out.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Platinum

Trade: Commercial & Residential

I've never used the term of custom repair but my experience has been as of most, the smaller it is, the more margin you make. Don't be shy on your price because I guarantee you the next won't be.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #6

Trade:

Yes I understand that post was a bit vague sorry I should have stated that I was mostly looking for a minimum charge for higher pitched roofs. We do a lot of flat roofs etc & residential which has always been really competitive & straightforward, I know this is another ball game for our company so kinda feeling around. I appreciate the comments very helpful... And great link

Last edited by Idaho Dave; 02-13-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: add
Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Roofing Relapse

Personally I look at an hour as an hour. Steep, Flat, Tall, it's still an hour. All be it a 1 square repair on a shingle ranch will take less time than a 1 square repair on a 4 story mansard. So while an hour is still an hour, some jobs take more hours than others.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
Platinum

Trade: Commercial & Residential

Grumpy said it right, hour is the best way. But if you're looking for a number as a qualifier when you're screening a potential customer, just tell them....typical repairs average $xxx and depending on complexity such as steep pitches your looking at $xxx. That method usually works for me. Getting an idea as to what to charge is more locally based. There are some folks on here that start at $200 minumums for repairs to keep their guys busy and then there are those that won't get out of bed for $200.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Roofing Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandRoof View Post
There are some folks on here that start at $200 minumums for repairs to keep their guys busy and then there are those that won't get out of bed for $200.
For what it is worth, if I am closing the sale over the phone site unseen and charging time and material, I charge a minimum of 2 man hours, in my case $160. Depending on location I may or may not charge for travel and use this as a competitive advantage. Having said that if I know I am going to be the one doing the repair I almost always charge for travel

If I am bidding the job, meaning I have to go look at it first, the price is going up. 1, I will then always mark travel into the job. 2, I add on a $150 mobilization fee to every bid job regardless of size. So that 1 hour repair that would have been $160 is now $350. If I really don't feel like or don't have the time to do the estimate I will tell the customer over the phone. Sometimes they still want a written proposal first, sometimes they are ok with the T&M. Either way my time is not free.

For what it is worth, if I have a guy working T&M 8 hours a day at $80 an hour (which by the way I think is a little on the low side and my book keeper and I will be verifying is still an accurate price) that's $640 billable. After paying employee and burdens it's $240-$300 gross profit. I'd really like to get $500 for the truck for the day. The option is send out 2 men to every job which means I bill for twice as many hours, or charge an extra $30 per man hour.

I know now I am hijacking this thread but just doing it to bring some points to everyone's thought. What I think I will do is something like the following....

Quote:
Total Price: Time & Material at a rate of $110 per man hour for the first roofer and/or inspectors and $80 per man hour for each additional roofer. Materials will be marked up 20% over retail cost. You will not be charged for travel to and from the job site, except to procure materials and or equipment necessary to complete the work.

Last edited by Grumpy; 02-14-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #10

Trade:

Thanks this helps guys

Tags
pricing info