best way to get leads? - Business, Marketing, and Sales - Contractor Talk

best way to get leads?

Old 03-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #1

Trade:

best way to get leads?

I opened my roofing company last spring....

But I have not found Good solid way to produce roofs...

I also have a painting company for the last 5 years or sooo....the lead process is not he same at all...painting is easy...I throw an ad in the newspaper and easily get decent paying jobs...

As for roofing...I ont get the serous clients who want full tear offs rarely...I get "replace a gutter" "fix 10 pieces of rsding" nothing of value...
Any ideas?

Its also hard because I put so much of my time and effort into painting...

I really want a website, but can't find an affordable company to do it....

I use footbridge for painting....there awesome but my area is taken in roofing with them....

It just seems like roofing advertising is just plain out more expensive..
I can throw a painting add out there for $100 and easily get a hand full of bids and a few thousand in work....

What is your take on the situation ?

Advertisement

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. RoofingTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Roofologist

Trade: Commercial and Residential Roofing, Siding, Seamless

Re: best way to get leads?

As a painter. What exactly do you know about roofing?
Old 03-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #3

Trade:

I have a crew who does all the work.. I do help tear off and clean up... Deliver the tools and pick up... I do all the estimates and measuring myself...I know the process for the most part ..obviously i couldnt be left alone to run the job myself but i understand it..

we dont have much work though..... im pretty decent with the sales process... ive yet to be stumped by a home owner....

its really just getting the bids were having trouble with...or atleast the ones i want...

we tryed subbing but considering im not on all the jobs...its hard to make money with it....
Old 03-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
Roofologist

Trade: Commercial and Residential Roofing, Siding, Seamless

Where are you located?
What is the population of your service region?
Are you in a storm region? Hail, wind, etc?

Plan on flailing for awhile. It takes a lot of money to figure out exactly what works.

There are a lot of threads around here that address advertising. It not a one size fits all type of thing.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
Ben Landers

Trade: General Roofing & Home Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestrestoration View Post
I opened my roofing company last spring....
Maybe this is a stupid question, but did you create a business plan for the roofing business? Did you create a budget? If it were EASY to just up and create a roofing company, generate leads, and make a bunch of money, everyone would be a roofer

Growing a business takes money and/or time and/or intelligence and/or creativity. You can succeed with a mix or an extreme abundance of any one of them. At present, I'm trying to determine which asset you bring to the table. So far, it sounds like money and time are out. Let's hope you're smart and creative

Quote:
But I have not found Good solid way to produce roofs...
What have you tested? Just the newspaper ads?

Have you taken the time to determine your max cost per acquisition for various types of roofing jobs (from full tear offs to replacing a few shingles)?

Before you invest in marketing, you might want to build a marketing model based on the economics of your new business (using assumptions if you don't have enough data yet).

Quote:
Any ideas?

Its also hard because I put so much of my time and effort into painting...

I really want a website, but can't find an affordable company to do it....
1. Build a website. Use another company. Budget $2,500 - $5,000 for it. Don't have that much? Paint more houses. Save money. Re-start roofing business.

A good website can generate a hundred qualified leads per month. It's NOT a place to be penny-wise and pound foolish. Every time I hear a contractor tell me that they can't afford $5,000 for a website, I think, "are you out of your friggin' mind?"

It's like trying to start a home service business and saying you can't afford a truck/van. Okay, I get it. You don't have any money. But you can't exactly pull a red wagon full of tools around town on your bicycle. You've got to find a way to afford a truck/van.

A website isn't that much different.

I know, I know, your buddy only paid $250 for his website. Stop following your buddies. Most of them don't know what they're doing either.

2. Invest in SEO

3. Test PPC

(I'm sure we're going to see a dozen responses that PPC doesn't work. Candidly, 90% of you probably mismanaged your account. Another 5% didn't test it long enough. It does not work in all markets, but it's not because PPC doesn't work - it's typically because either a) your competitors are idiots and are overpaying for clicks or b) your sales process stinks which results in you not being able to afford to pay a high enough cost per click to generate the clicks necessary to get profitable sales)

Quote:

I use footbridge for painting....there awesome but my area is taken in roofing with them....
If you get a decent flow of leads for the painting business, can't you get a crew to run and manage those jobs so that you can focus 90% on getting the roofing business up to speed?

Quote:
It just seems like roofing advertising is just plain out more expensive..
I can throw a painting add out there for $100 and easily get a hand full of bids and a few thousand in work....
What's the average revenue associated with a roofing job?

How does it compare to your painting business?

My guess is that roofing jobs would be more. The ads are more expensive, but not within the context of the margin on the line (your margins might stink in the beginning, but you're not competing in the ad space with yourself - you're competing against companies that already have roofing dialed in!).

If painting is comparable, stick to painting. Clearly, you've got some elements of it figured out. Incidentally, Harvard Business did a study about companies that try to get into ancillary lines of business. Guess what they found? Most fail. What should they do instead? Get better at what they already do. According to their study, there's way more money and profit to be had by becoming the BEST painting company than there is for your roofing division.

Hope this helps.

Ben
Old 04-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #6

Trade: Roofer Marketing

In my experience marketing roofing companies, most are fly by night and the industry has a huge distaste for these types of contractors. I would suggest creating a business plan and thinking long term, not just trying to go for the quick money. You will find that reputation and trust is a major factor when buying a roof.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Roof Hail Damage

Trade: Roofing and Exteriors

You nailed it. So many new companies. I used to write down all the new ones when we had a storm. I used to have a contest all summer long for my reps when I GM'd another company for whoever brought me the most business cards from competitors. They would get 100 bucks and the guy who brought in the most companies I never heard of would get 50. I emphasize business cards because you get those form customers you sign and guys arent stealing yard signs. I used to get like 50-60 new companies every summer. Somewhere I have a shoebox full of defunct and out of business companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhousemedia View Post
In my experience marketing roofing companies, most are fly by night and the industry has a huge distaste for these types of contractors. I would suggest creating a business plan and thinking long term, not just trying to go for the quick money. You will find that reputation and trust is a major factor when buying a roof.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
Roofing Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarshall603 View Post
You nailed it. So many new companies. I used to write down all the new ones when we had a storm. I used to have a contest all summer long for my reps when I GM'd another company for whoever brought me the most business cards from competitors. They would get 100 bucks and the guy who brought in the most companies I never heard of would get 50. I emphasize business cards because you get those form customers you sign and guys arent stealing yard signs. I used to get like 50-60 new companies every summer. Somewhere I have a shoebox full of defunct and out of business companies.
I used to pay a bonus for competitor contracts/proposals (scalps).

http://www.illinoisroofinspections.com
Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
Roof Hail Damage

I had to end up changing it to business cards because guys would bring in signs.

One lady gave me a stack of 30 cards from guys telling her she needed a new roof. She was in her 80's and a widow, she didnt need a new roof. When her sons house needed a new roof 5 months later he called me and I gave her a 200 dollar referral reward. My company paid for some of her prescriptions and things she needed.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
Roof Hail Damage

The best way to get good leads:
  • Build a good company with quality people.
  • Use the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid
  • Take care of the customers you have.
  • High quality workmanship. It costs more but it pays off long term.
  • Company safety plan. Avoid OSHA at all costs. Invest into fall protection, first aid kits and hydration. Have safety meetings and classes.
  • Word spreads when youre a good company. Customers come to you. When you do have to go get customers you've laid the groundwork on selling them on why they should go with you.

Tags
leads