small town commercial repair - New Member Introductions - Contractor Talk

small town commercial repair

Old 05-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #1

Trade:

small town commercial repair

I live in a small southern town, a farm town in North Carolina. I'm getting old, 65, and the only jobs I take on are for people I know. The newest one is repairing a ceiling in an old Main Street storefront, but the roof leaks . . . . None of the local roofers are an option --long story(s)--so I'm taking it on.
It is an old standing seam galvanized very low pitch roof with tar and cool seal. The roof is 20 feet wide and 60 or so feet long with brick knee walls on three sides. Five feet from the front is a lap seam all the way across. This is where it leaks. The standing seam was bent over on both sides of the lap and built up with tar and cool seal.
I removed all that and I can see little holes and places where water could get in.
There is this new product 'Through the Roof!' that says it will do the job --a clear gel that I tested and seems to stick pretty well in a test area--. I thought I would try it, use it like caulk, let it cure and then maybe go over that with some mesh and fibered roof cement then cool seal over the top of that, giving it all time to cure inbetween.
I've taken a couple of pictures and could post them if that would be useful.
I keep doing this, you know, taking on jobs that are outside my comfort zone . . . my last job was welding a carport support bracket, but boy have I enjoyed learning how to weld.
Will fixing old metal roofs give me the same feeling?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before tar removed.JPG (441.9 KB, 0 views)

Advertisement

Last edited by shortbed; 05-25-2016 at 09:14 AM. Reason: marks in text
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. RoofingTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-22-2017, 07:10 AM   #2

Trade: Commercial Roofer

Re: small town commercial repair

I am not in your shoes but I like working on old metal roofs... as long as they are flat and the structure is sound. We work on a lot of metal commercial buildings and with some roofing fabric and elastomeric coatings, you can make a lot of shop owners very happy.

http://www.AteamCoatings.com