Hammer Tacker - Roofing Tools and Equipment - Contractor Talk

Hammer Tacker

Old 02-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #1

Trade:

Hammer Tacker

What are you guys using for hammer tackers. Everyone I get are junk and jam up all the time and or just flat out break all the time. Anyone have any luck with a certain kind. I've tried about every one of the bostitch ones and it dont matter if its a 20 dollar one or a 60 dollar one same stuff happens. All I use it for is felt paper.

Advertisement

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. RoofingTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #2

Trade: Roofing Contractor

Re: Hammer Tacker

For 15 years I've only run Duofast hammer tackers. Every roofer I know also uses Duofast (we're talking a lot of roofers...)

I know some framers still running the old tan ones and they quite making them a long time ago. Of course the oils and such in roofing materials will shorten the life of any tacker. Another thing tough on tackers is tacking the W&I shield especialy on a hot day in the sun.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #3

Trade:

I went from hammer tacker to a penuumatic tab nailer gun to just using my roofing gun with tin tabs/silver dollars .

I found the hammer tackers aggravating because of getting jammend up all the time.. and dealing with staples can be a pain in the butt period when your on the roof, or in storage.

The penumatic tab nailer... uses staples and plastic tabs in a gun kind of like a roofing gun .. - gave good holding power , not aggravating but It wasn't always readily avaliable and on me 24- 7 whenever i needed it.

TIn tabs- readily avaliable, not as messy as staples , not as aggravating at hammer tackers, great holding power and not bulky ..

costs me around 300-400 dollars a year for the tin tabs, it prolly costs 250 dollars more then using a hammer tacker but it doesnt add more stress to my day.

I know you specifically asked about hammer tackers but i wanted to throw this in..

do you guys dislike the tin tabs/ silver dollars?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #4

Trade:

duofast. i have worn the ends out on them tacking 100s of dry ins on tile roofs. ive boughgt more than a few, i did have one or two that would jam now and then.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #5

Trade: Residential asphalt

Duo fast. I have a drywall bucket in the back of the truck with a gallon of diesel in it where they sit when their not being used. Diesel breaks the tar down quickly and is cheap.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
Slate roofer, SF Bay area

Trade: Roofing contractor

I never use hammer tackers! I use plastic cap nails on every project!!

A little slower but i prefer nails to staples
Old 07-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #7

Trade:

I vote cap nails with a magnetic faced hammer. Faster than you think, superior holding power especially on steep roofs.

AJC makes a great hammer, not cheap at $60, but you get what you pay for.

Tags
hammer, tacker