GAF vs. OWENS CORNING

Old 06-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #1

GAF vs. OWENS CORNING

This is just a quick question I have recently heard from another residential roofer. He told me that the shingles are applied and job is complete, it takes Owens Corning shingles 3-4 weeks to properly seal??? He said GAF seals immediately. This was on the 30 year dimensional. Which is a better quality and not just which one will make you a Platinum Certified Gold Member for pushing they're product. Is Owens truly a bit better quality and is the sealing deal a freakin' hoax??? Thanks folks!!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Re: GAF vs. OWENS CORNING

Just my opinion, but they should both seal in about the same amount of time, but if one were more tacky and sealed first, from past history, it would be the Owens Corning line of shingles, especially their new Duration style.

As long as you don't get any blow offs during the waiting time, it really shouldn't matter though, with the exception of a new construction area with a lot of dust that blows around, which might contaminate the space between the sealant and the shingle.

Ed
Old 06-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #3

Thanks Ed. I appreciate your reply. That surprised me to when the guy told me GAF sealed faster. Thanks again!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
user182

I've used OC and they seal down the same day you lay them.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #5

Trade: Roofing Contractor

Our guys really like the new Duration OCs. We sell mostly Duration Premiums, but they have reported the same with 30s. The Durations have a wider nail strip and added sealing strips compared to any other archs on the market. Smart shingle.

Never had any complaints with Timberlines either. They have always performed well.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
Happily Quit Roofing!

In a warm spring or fall day they'll usually seal the same day. in the summer they are sealing as you're laying them sometimes. In the winter you'll have to wait a few weeks or months for them to seal.

I've very liittle experience with GAF as I haven't installed them in years and even less experience with OC as I only have done their products a few times.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #7

Trade: contractor

ive used both and they seem to seal down fine. same day most of the time when its sunny. oh and certainteed expanded their nailing range too. no more having to hit the 2 little lines. lol
Old 07-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
EH?

Trade: Residential-Commercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRoofPro View Post
Our guys really like the new Duration OCs. We sell mostly Duration Premiums, but they have reported the same with 30s. The Durations have a wider nail strip and added sealing strips compared to any other archs on the market. Smart shingle.

Never had any complaints with Timberlines either. They have always performed well.
The Durations "sure nail" is a joke.If you nail where they tell you to ,you don't hit the double lam.Don't get me wrong,OC's are good,but just nail as low as you can.The only real wide nailing strip is the 'zone" by Malarkey.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:28 AM   #9

Trade: Commercial & Residential Roofing

I have never experienced such a sealing problem. Our company has been roofing for 87 years, all brands over the years. Owens Corning Duration seems to work very well in my area of CT. Just had serious sustained 75 MPH wind & rain. Declared a Federal Disaster Area. Not 1 Owens Corning blow off. That's good enough for me.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Residential Roofer

Trade: Residential Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnk View Post
The Durations "sure nail" is a joke.If you nail where they tell you to ,you don't hit the double lam.Don't get me wrong,OC's are good,but just nail as low as you can.The only real wide nailing strip is the 'zone" by Malarkey.
I guess I missed this post originally but since Rex re-opened it,
The purpose of the sure nail is to eliminate the need for fasteners to penetrate both portions of the shingle.
I have only installed them twice so far so guess I'll see in 10,20,30 years from now if it works out or not, just like with the "zone" all tho Malarkey is not sold here in my area that I know of so will wait and take your word on that.