Drip edge

Old 05-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
user182

Drip edge

How do you guys in Chicago do your drip edge?

Iíve heard you guys talk about gutter apron, is that custom made?

Here in Detroit itís standard to put new drip edge on all edges.

I use large face drip edge.

If the house already has drip edge we rip it off and install new.

Prospects expect it to be installed because thatís what the contractors are telling them is included. If I didnít include it in my estimate the homeowner would think that I am leaving something out that should be included.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Drip edge

Gutter Apron drip edge is a different style of aluminum sheet metal with a pitch already bent into the roof deck portion and a slightly larger face that extends down into the gutter or onto the fascia boards.

Gable edge drip edge metal, which is commonly called O.D.E., for Overhanging Drip Edge, is what too many guys use for the Gutter Apron, which it was not designed for. The top portion is bent at a 90* with a 3/8" 180* tight hem extending out past the fascia board.

When you use the the ODE for the eave portions, the face automatically rises due to the flat 180* portion being forced to go up the pitched roof angle.

Now, in many occasions, the front face of the ODE being used for the Gutter Apron, does not extend into the gutter like it should.

On the Gable Edge ODE, I install the lowest piece first, but take a screw driver or rigid putty knife and open the 180* hem. Then I take my tin snips and insert the exposed portion of the second piece of ODE, but just the Face portion exposed on the fascia, behind the lower piece of ODE sheet metal.

By doing that, when you look up the side edge of the sloped roof, you do not see any seams.

Now, for the portion that goes on the decking, I install the second piece on Top of the lower portion of ODE. This is to allow the moisture to properly roll down, without getting Under the previous piece of ODE.

Most guys do not include the finishing touches of the installation of the sheet metal ODE n their roofing scope of the proposal and installation process.

I do, even though it adds a couple of hundred bucks to each job, but it is just one more way to differentiate my company's skills from the other Riff-Raff.

Now, Grumpy does NOT install the ODE typically, but I do not consider him to be included in the Riff-Raff comment. But, he has his own personal reasons for doing it otherwise.

Ed
Old 05-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #3

Trade: roofing and siding contractor

i think the use of the heavyer gauge is important when using roof edging the stuff in the box stores is usually too thin
Old 05-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
user182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Gutter Apron drip edge is a different style of aluminum sheet metal with a pitch already bent into the roof deck portion and a slightly larger face that extends down into the gutter or onto the fascia boards.

Gable edge drip edge metal, which is commonly called O.D.E., for Overhanging Drip Edge, is what too many guys use for the Gutter Apron, which it was not designed for. The top portion is bent at a 90* with a 3/8" 180* tight hem extending out past the fascia board.

When you use the the ODE for the eave portions, the face automatically rises due to the flat 180* portion being forced to go up the pitched roof angle.

Now, in many occasions, the front face of the ODE being used for the Gutter Apron, does not extend into the gutter like it should.

On the Gable Edge ODE, I install the lowest piece first, but take a screw driver or rigid putty knife and open the 180* hem. Then I take my tin snips and insert the exposed portion of the second piece of ODE, but just the Face portion exposed on the fascia, behind the lower piece of ODE sheet metal.

By doing that, when you look up the side edge of the sloped roof, you do not see any seams.

Now, for the portion that goes on the decking, I install the second piece on Top of the lower portion of ODE. This is to allow the moisture to properly roll down, without getting Under the previous piece of ODE.

Most guys do not include the finishing touches of the installation of the sheet metal ODE n their roofing scope of the proposal and installation process.

I do, even though it adds a couple of hundred bucks to each job, but it is just one more way to differentiate my company's skills from the other Riff-Raff.

Now, Grumpy does NOT install the ODE typically, but I do not consider him to be included in the Riff-Raff comment. But, he has his own personal reasons for doing it otherwise.

Ed
Do you make that gutter apron yourself or do you buy it.

Can you post a picture of it?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
Roofing Relapse

My reasons for not drip edging the bagles, mmmm bagles, Erm I digress... My reason for not drip edging gables is simply the fact that in my experience I see very little problem with wind driven rain or wind uplift at the gables. It's hard enough being 20-50% higher than the low bidder already, adding another $500 for what ever reason is a hard thing to do, especially since I don't see the purpose.

I do install a starter/bleeder course up the gables/rakes which I don't think you MI guys are accustomed to doing. I had hired a guy from Michigan who found it odd we didn't drip edge the gables rakes but did install a starter course on the gables/rakes.

Gutter apron has a compeltely different profile than drip edge. If I were in the office I would send you a CAD drawing of each. A gutter apron is a simple L shaped metal, not F shaped, with aprox 3" under the shingles and aprox 2" on the face. Sometimes it is customer but only on very long gutter runs where a 2" face just isn't enough, while still giving the gutter good pitch. Gutter apron is something that can be bought anywhere even home depot and lowes. FYI drip edge can be bought int he same places. Another thing, at my gutter supplier I can get ANY color gutter apron, but only some color drip edge.

I will however install drip edge on a drip line/gutter line, when a gutter is not installed. There have been some garages with no gutters and some real high end homes in Riverwoods IL with 3' or 4' overhangs and no gutters. I then install the ODE to extend the shingles a little extra and protect the fascia. I will also install ODE when I am doing a plywood job, because the plywood edge needs to be protected from the elements. I have seen alot of jobs with the roof being 10-15 years old, plywood job in the past, and the entire gables are rotted out. It adds a few hundred to the job costs but is a necessity on those plywood jobs.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
Roofing Relapse

http://rollex.com/products/brochures click on the 2009 buyers guide.

Look at page number 15, if you are looking at page numbers. Or int he pDF it says page 16, since the front cover is counted as a page in Adobe Reader. The first item is a gutter apron, the 2nd is a drip edge. They show various styles of drip edge.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
user182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
My reasons for not drip edging the bagles, mmmm bagles, Erm I digress... My reason for not drip edging gables is simply the fact that in my experience I see very little problem with wind driven rain or wind uplift at the gables. It's hard enough being 20-50% higher than the low bidder already, adding another $500 for what ever reason is a hard thing to do, especially since I don't see the purpose.

I do install a starter/bleeder course up the gables/rakes which I don't think you MI guys are accustomed to doing. I had hired a guy from Michigan who found it odd we didn't drip edge the gables rakes but did install a starter course on the gables/rakes.

Gutter apron has a compeltely different profile than drip edge. If I were in the office I would send you a CAD drawing of each. A gutter apron is a simple L shaped metal, not F shaped, with aprox 3" under the shingles and aprox 2" on the face. Sometimes it is customer but only on very long gutter runs where a 2" face just isn't enough, while still giving the gutter good pitch. Gutter apron is something that can be bought anywhere even home depot and lowes. FYI drip edge can be bought int he same places. Another thing, at my gutter supplier I can get ANY color gutter apron, but only some color drip edge.

I will however install drip edge on a drip line/gutter line, when a gutter is not installed. There have been some garages with no gutters and some real high end homes in Riverwoods IL with 3' or 4' overhangs and no gutters. I then install the ODE to extend the shingles a little extra and protect the fascia. I will also install ODE when I am doing a plywood job, because the plywood edge needs to be protected from the elements. I have seen alot of jobs with the roof being 10-15 years old, plywood job in the past, and the entire gables are rotted out. It adds a few hundred to the job costs but is a necessity on those plywood jobs.
Iíll ask my supplier about gutter apron. Iíve never seen it in stock around here. It looks like flashing we would use on a mansard roof at the point where the pitch changes.

Drip has become the standard around here. This has developed over the years. Contractors convinced the owner that they should have it.

I used to install drip edge with a 1Ē face and then prospects acted like I was offering an inferior product because someone else offered one with a 1 ĹĒ face.

They also convinced them that the drip edge should be replaced. Itís commonplace to replace it around here. If I sent a crew out to job and told them to leave the drip edge in place they would probably forget and rip it off anyway.

However I do think it is a waste of money and only drives the price up.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
Roofing Relapse

I'd ice shield the gables and rake before I'd drip edge, and I don't ice shield gables nor rakes. In my experience I don't see them being a problem so have never had the need for this added protection. IMO better to focus on the areas that are known to be problems first, and the rest is gravy. It's not like I refuse to install drip edge, I just don't always promote it.

And yes you can probably use the gutter apron as a gambrel slope change transition but we prefer to bend our own with a larger face, a hem and a compression kick-in at the edge.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #9

Trade: roofing and siding contractor

everybody has their own opinion about thing but i kind of think sad when traditional techniques are abandoned,i think that starts the ball rolling on what else to skip
and believe me i have the utmost respect for everyone's opinion on here so please, this is just my humble opinion
Old 05-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
Roofing Relapse

You say traditional techniques, but I will tell you I have torn off roofs as old as 100 years and almost never do I see a drip edge.

I've torn off all types from slate to shingles, to cedar, to metal... Metal may be the only roof with a gable/rake flashing that is seen on a consistant basis, and that's because it's needed for a termination. I've torn off very high end homes. I have torn off working class homes. I have torn off every architectural style. If I sit back and think, I think I can count the number of homes that had drip edge using both hands.