Which brand shingles do you install & why? - Residential Roofing - Contractor Talk

Which brand shingles do you install & why?

Old 07-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #1

Trade: Roofing Contractor

Which brand shingles do you install & why?

We mainly use GAF and they have a large presence in my area. On occasion, we've installed Certainteed and OC and don't have any complaints about them. The couple times we used Tamco, I was not impressed and it took a while for them to seal and that's in the Florida sun. What are you guys installing? Tell me your likes and dislikes. Additionally, do your shingle wrappers have the Miami-Dade product approval logo on them?

http://www.affordableroofingcontractors.com

Advertisement

Last edited by Miami Roofer; 07-19-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. RoofingTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-20-2011, 03:50 AM   #2

Trade: roofing contractor

Re: Which brand shingles do you install & why?

Certainteed, they are heavier than the others we have available here in NZ. I have also used Gaf-Elk and OC, the Gaf-Elk definitely got thinner when Gaf took over elk's product lines. Pabco are available here, I have not used them other than for repairs, they give too many problems with blowoffs and premature failure.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #3

Trade: Project Manager

I've tried the Witch brand shingles, but find they melt when it rains!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #4

Trade: Residnetial Roofing

We use Atlas, The SBS hail resistant class 4 features are such an easy sell vs. other products my sales force loves it! and now they have Scotchgard Protector all those stained roofs we run into. We have used everything but Pabco, nothing has lasted like the Atlas Stormmaster series in bad weather.

Last edited by JR Roofing; 07-22-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #5

With our relationship with GAF as a Master Elite contractor we use GAF 99% of the time.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #6
Florida Roofer

Trade: Commercial Roofing and Residential Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazapple View Post
I've tried the Witch brand shingles, but find they melt when it rains!
There's no place like home...
Old 07-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Roof Pro of Vermont

GAF. Yes they are thinner but they are more flexible when cold- lay flat right away, and when they are hot they do not mark as the CertainTeed's do.

This year the CertainTeed went metric- making them a little more appealing. Most of my competition uses them so when doing the "sit down" and following two other reputable roofers showing CertainTeed it's a little easier. We have done a few in CT but not really impressed. Un-square, thick, easily marked up on warm days, and wrapped in plastic and they don't sit well on 2x4 cleats.

Not a bitch on the CT's, but a real concern might be the wide un-reinforced nail strip- the upper line being way higher than the laminate line and to be considered an acceptable compliant installation- and we have certainly all seen over the years delaminated shingles on high pitched roofs, this level of acceptance I think will be a future problem.

Yes they are thicker than the GAF, but using less garbage/ filler- ie: limestone, if it is not necessary why should it be there?

12 or so years ago we used Tamko Heritage and they held up very well, but really hard to get up here.

We used to be on the IKO bandwagon, until legitimate claims on faulty products were denied, 25 year shingles lasted only 9, or 10- worst case a 4 year old showing early signs of curled corners. Yes these are the organic versions, the old 30 year heavyweight went bad early as well. Now I think they are all fiberglass matts.

We are GAF Certified, and withe the opinion of GAF being the best available, best branded product line with a great Warranty they are our first choice.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #8

Certainteed Landmarks on most roofs. They are thicker than the others in the standard line and have a good warranty.

Done a few OC Duration installs. They lay out nice thicker than GAF/ELK and Tamko's. The full tar line will trap moisture and will rust out the nails, heard reports for a few years and seen it first hand on a 2 year old roof. The four roofs we did all had missmatched color bundles.

Tamko Heritage, did one for the first time a couple weeks ago. Thinner than what I expected but laid out nice and flat. Seemed higher quality than GAF/ELK.

GAF/ELK? perfect for a dog house... IMO complete garbage. Wonder if they will hold up as long as the original Timberline or Prestiques and crack at 10 years???

Last edited by dougger222; 08-01-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
Pitched Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougger222 View Post
GAF/ELK? perfect for a dog house...
Why you wanna do that to your dog?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interloc View Post
Why you wanna do that to your dog?
LOL!

In all reality the three dogs sleep in the bedroom. One under the bed, one next to the bed, and one on the bed.

Tags
ottawa roofers, ottawa roofing