Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the roofing discussions? Click here!

plank gaps, seal or not seal?

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  altmartion 
#1 ·
hi, my new metal roof is condensating really bad. to start they did not ice and water the entire roof as I asked for. this explains the 3 extra rolls I had. lol. this roof section is partially vaulted and partially open space. the ceiling has r38. there is no insulation in the rafters. I am doing this now. my question is, should I seal the gaps between the planks with calk and spray foam? I bought baffles and insulation but am at a stand still because of this. my idea was to seal all the gaps then put 1/4 ridged foam board to the bottom side of the roof planks, then the baffles and then the r21. It was a good idea until I thought about it. my concern is the gap sealing and the foam board not letting the cold air get to the bottom side of the roof panels. but on the other hand, ice and water is doing the same thing. and if it were plywood between the planks and the spacers it would be the same thing, right? am I over thinking this? I do it a lot, damn ocd. lol. thanks.

#3 ·
they are coming back in the spring to fix it. it is fabrel metal. I don't remember the gauge. what I did to help until then is open up the soffits more and run new baffles from soffit to ridge. then I used 1/4" foam board. I also "bent" a piece an attatched it to the wall and the baffle to reduce infiltration where the wall meets the roof and the soffit starts. I caulked, spray foamed and used tyvek tape at every seam and gap I could find. I guess the foam board was for an air barrier. now, any cold air that enters the bay will be above the insulation. then it is r38 batts. I also taped and sealed every seam or gap related to that. the 120 year old construction makes it hard to work with, and then with all the added lumber creating many hidden and hard to get at gaps slows the process down. I think, or hope, I have gone above what needed to be done. I will be doing this to the entire roof now because when I cut into a random section where the ceiling is totally cathedral, I found only one baffle at the bottom. I want to get to this before the mold gets to bad. thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.