Tar paper, #15 felt, use staples or nails?

Old 08-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #1

Trade: installer

Tar paper, #15 felt, use staples or nails?

Reading manufacturers recommendations, i came across a statement to hold down felt paper use nails only. Does that mean Don't use staples? I use the standard U shaped 1/2" staples, is there a risk the felt will tear underneath the shingles once the whole job is finished? (due to thermal expoansion/contraction etc).

Thanks to all...
..s

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #2

Trade: Roofing Contractor

Re: Tar paper, #15 felt, use staples or nails?

The reason they want you to use felt nails is to prevent blow offs if left exposed or high wind areas. Staples can be used for tacking it down, but not recommended to hold. When the shingles are installed the felt is not going anywhere. Back in the day all I used was staples and /or roofing nails now plastic tops are the norm.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #3

Can you tell me what a felt nail looks like? (plastic top?)
...s
Old 08-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #4

Its just how it sounds, 7/8 - 1/1/2" An aluminum nail pierced through a plastic cap that is bowed downward. So when its nailed to the felt it has a larger holding surface then a roofing nail or staple. Also allows you to use your nail gun. The nail will go though the plastic try that with a square head. Iam surprised you havent seen them I would imagine all major suppliers would carry them.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:20 AM   #5

Thanks Ridgewalker,
I'm a bit of an amateur (only done 3 roofs), so this is new to me.

I'm so much of an amateur i'm not even sure what nails to use.
i've been using 1" galv nails to hold down your regular 25yr three tab shingles.

Now i'm gona install some Architectural 40year shingles and because they are thicker, i wonder if i should be using 1&1/4" nails? Typically, what does everyone use?

Thanks for your support, much appreciated...

..s
Old 08-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #6

7/8" on the overhangs 1 1/4" in the field. Try to learn roofing the right way it's easier then unlearning the wrong way.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #7

Trade: Residential Roofing Contractor

IF you are only tacking down the felt for while you roof the building then 3/8 tack hammer staples are more then enough. Since you are new to the game i would greatly recommend you use 30# felt over 15. Its way better to work with and will last longer. It also will not wrinkle with moisture like 15# will. you only need cap nails for underlayment if you are leaving the roof exposed for a period of time before shingling. I wouldnt recommend this as felt should only be exposed for a month at most.

And yes for 40 year shingles do not use less then 1 1/4 nails in the field. use as long of nails as you can in the eaves without them protruding thru.

Since you are new at this i would greatly recommend you read up alot on specs and instructions so you do things right. and ask a lot of questions!

good luck!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #8

Hey guys, thanks so much for your advice, i was wondering what length nails to use since i just bought my first Roofing Air Nailer, i did the first jobs by hand, they were regular 3 tab shingles so i used 1" nails and a hammer!

One last question for you guys, does choosing a lighter coloured shingle make the roof last longer? I say this because i wonder if lighter colours reflect off heat better, or do darker shingles get hotter?

Thanks & Best Regards..
..s
Old 08-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #9

Does choosing a lighter coloured shingle make the roof last longer? I say this because i wonder if lighter colours reflect off heat better, or do darker shingles get hotter and don't last as long? Or is it insignificant?
Thanks & Best Regards..
..s
Old 08-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #10

Trade: Commercial - Residential

15lb felt? Havent used it in years. 30lb should be just fine with staples overnight and tarped. We now use synthetic underlayment with hand nailed plasti-cap nails and NO tarps and have yet to have a leak. We tried the hand Stinger nailers for the plasti staples and the are not worth a damn. Looking into buying a couple air plasti-cap nailers, but my guys prefer to hand nail the felt.