Ridge Vent for Truss Type Roof?

Old 05-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #1

Trade: roofing and gutters

Ridge Vent for Truss Type Roof?

I've been comparing ridge vents and narrowed it down to:

1. Air Vent Inc. Shingle Vent II

2. Cor-A-Vent V-400E

The house in question is a single-level home with a truss type roof. Nothing complicated.

I'll be using screened eave vents at every other rafter tail, which will about double the existing eave vents.

My concern is getting adequate air flow out of the ridge vent. I think the Shingle Vent II is better, but I don't know much about it.

The only other ridge vent I've looked at is Lomanco's Lo-OmniRidge, but I think that may be overkill for the size and construction of the house.

Comments on the Shingle Vent II or other suggestions welcome.

Advertisement

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Florida Roofer

Trade: Commercial Roofing and Residential Roofing

Re: Ridge Vent for Truss Type Roof?

I have been using the GAF Cobra III ridge vent for about 4 years and they works great,

Of the two you picked I like the look of the Shingle Vent II that you found. If that one was available in my market I would try it.

_________
JW Roofing
Handmade Barrel Tile Roof, Miami Roofing
Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Florida Roofer

Oh, I forgot to mention, make sure you have more soffit ventilation than ridge ventilation. Those ridge vents work really well, and you can hear the air being pulled into the soffit vents on a hot day. If you don't have sufficient soffit ventilation, you can create a vacuum in the attic and do some damage to the decking.

Also, you need to take into account the loss of flow from the screens that are covering the soffit as well.

_________
JW Roofing
Handmade Barrel Tile Roof, Miami Roofing
Old 06-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments. The Cobra 3 is pretty much the exact same thing as the Shingle Vent II as far as I know.

I am doubling the eave vents so I want to make sure I get the right ridge vent.

My only concern with the Shingle Vent II is that it is more difficult to install, and therefore easier to screw up. I don't know if the crew who will be installing it has ever worked with it before.

Last edited by deko; 06-02-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #5

Trade: residential roofing

Check the NFVA numbers on each of the two products you are considering . . . then take the next step in your research and look for how much air the product actually flows.

I don't ever qualify a product on ease of installation. I'm looking for well engineered and something that works as advertised . . .

A roofer that lives at my house needs a roof replaced this year . . . the existing Cobra vent is getting tossed and replaced by the Airvent SVII . . .

Just my .02 . . .

Last edited by apkole; 06-02-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Florida Roofer

Deko,

Take a closer look at the Cobra 3. It is not a roll, but it comes in flat 4 foot sections. What I like about the Cobra 3 is they come with the nails you need attached to them. So as long as your crew can snap a chalk line and cut a straight line (that is not too deep), it would be hard to mess up. Plus you can download the instructions.

Here is a link to the page:
http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residenti...id-Vent-3.aspx

Finally, remember to get a quality caulk to seal the edge, and you can also add a screen over the ridge cut. (keeps the bugs out)

_________
JW Roofing
Energy Star Roofing, Miami Roofing
Old 06-03-2011, 04:01 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I want to do this right and have it last 30 years, so I'm not going to skimp on the ridge vent.

I know the Air Vent SVII comes in 4-foot sections and is very similar to the Cobra 3.

As for which one is better, there is an interesting discussion here:

http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/cobra-...vent-ll-10473/
Old 06-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #8

I think Shingle Vent II is the better option as it has so many great features and is good for any kind of roofing that also includes the truss type roofs. Since your main concern happens to be getting enough air flow out of the ridge vent, Shingle Vent II would be your ideal choice. Some of its amazing features include:

- Creating a better draft by the deflecting the wind upwards and keeping the water out.
- The external baffle and internal weather filter helps to maintain optimum airflow.
- Ensures weather protection, particularly from rain and snow infiltration.

angie's list
Old 06-13-2011, 05:52 AM   #9

I will agree with Tani,Shingle Vent II is the better option.

Good roofing company in Lanett Alabama | Alabama roofing companies
Old 06-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #10

Trade: Roofing Contractor

Tamko Coolridge is better than SVII, it's stronger and doesn't come with a filter. ALL filters WILL plug up,I have yet to see one that doesn't. There are other vents out there that compare with Tamkos, try any of them that don't have a filter or are made of plastic cardboard. The plastic cardboaerd plugs up too, just takes longer.