No valley metal

Old 06-27-2010, 11:54 PM   #1

No valley metal

I just got a new build roof with five valleys and the builder told me not to put anything in the valley.

I've never shingled a roof and not put something in the valley. If you offer any kind of guarantee it's kind of like working without a safety net if you don't have protection in the valley.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #2

Re: No valley metal

You should ask for a clarification of 'not anything'.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:56 AM   #3
Roofing Relapse

I only use metal in valleys on high end luxury shingles or cedar or tile. I can't recall a single time putting metal in a valley on a regular 3 tab or basic 30 year architectural shingle. However I put ice shield in every valley before installing the shingles.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #4

Trade: Roofing Exterior Contractor

We put ice and water in all valley's and also only do metal formed valley's color matched to the shingles. People try and cut costs with cheaper roofing contractors and this is only one of the problems they encounter.

David
Old 07-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Pitched Roofer

We use #30 on most some we use I&W, but we use metal with a rib on all. Not to much 3-tabs here, H/O's and GC's think they look to old skool, I agree with them.

Last edited by Interloc; 07-17-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
Banned

Trade: roof insulation

Hi,
It's nice to share your problem. I would suggest that Installing closed valleys with shingles and Leak Barriers results in awesome looking waterproof valleys and will benefit for other reasons too. The benefits of closed valleys with Leak Barriers are to seal the roof deck, and to seal the roof nails to the roof securely. This results in more waterproof confidence and less labor, it is easier and quicker to install and results in a more waterproof roof. Not to mention a better, more finished look and feel to the roof itself. Finishing a valley with shingles leaves a roof with a cleaner look, when using metal; the metal will rust and discolor the roofing over time.

Roof Ventilator
Old 07-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
Pitched Roofer

Painted 26g valley metal DOES NOT rust, metal will out last shingles anyday,..but if ya dont know how to do it rite stick with closed.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #8

Trade: roofing contractor, 32 years in the roofing industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofing for Jesus View Post
I just got a new build roof with five valleys and the builder told me not to put anything in the valley.

I've never shingled a roof and not put something in the valley. If you offer any kind of guarantee it's kind of like working without a safety net if you don't have protection in the valley.
I'd put ice and water shield in the valleys at LEAST. Maybe the builder doesn't want to pay for it, but it is going to be YOU that gets the call when the valley fails!!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #9

Trade: Roofing Exterior Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfully View Post
Hi,
It's nice to share your problem. I would suggest that Installing closed valleys with shingles and Leak Barriers results in awesome looking waterproof valleys and will benefit for other reasons too. The benefits of closed valleys with Leak Barriers are to seal the roof deck, and to seal the roof nails to the roof securely. This results in more waterproof confidence and less labor, it is easier and quicker to install and results in a more waterproof roof. Not to mention a better, more finished look and feel to the roof itself. Finishing a valley with shingles leaves a roof with a cleaner look, when using metal; the metal will rust and discolor the roofing over time.

Roof Ventilator
Not only do closed valley's look like crap but if there are tree's around the house the closed valley will catch and hold leaves creating compost on the roof which will cause rot much faster than if it was done with a clean cut open metal valley. I have never had any open valley with formed metal rust ever.

Yes all valley's need to be lined with Ice and Water shield no matter if they are closed or open. Some contractors just want to pocket the extra money by not spending what it takes to do a roof properly.

We only use the highest quality products on our customers roofs GAF Timberline Prestique 30 rated at 110 MPH are our standard shingle. Yes our prices are higher but I also win 95% of the bids that I give. Quality costs and is noticed by the public. Here is a link to GAF's site on the shingles http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residenti...n-Shingles.asp
Old 07-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #10

Trade: Foreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interloc View Post
Painted 26g valley metal DOES NOT rust, metal will out last shingles anyday,..but if ya dont know how to do it rite stick with closed.
what do you mean by "26g"? don't know if this sounds dumb, but i'm just trying to learn all i can about my profession.