Best alternative to asphalt shingle?

Old 02-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
user182

Best alternative to asphalt shingle?

What would be the best alternative to an asphalt shingle?

What would be best to offer to keep the price close and offer more benifits at the same time?

The only other material I have used is Cedar.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
Roofing Relapse

Re: Best alternative to asphalt shingle?

Depending how high the price goes on asphalt I may start pushing decra as an alternative to standard asphalt shingles. Cedar is ok but isn't for every house. Decra looks alot of like asphalt shingles.

I haven't really focused much effort yet but have been keeping alternatives in the back of my mind.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
user182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Depending how high the price goes on asphalt I may start pushing decra as an alternative to standard asphalt shingles. Cedar is ok but isn't for every house. Decra looks alot of like asphalt shingles.

I haven't really focused much effort yet but have been keeping alternatives in the back of my mind.
Will humidity condensate on the bottom of a metal roof?

If so is that a problem?
Old 03-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
Roofing Relapse

Use a good roof felt like maybe titanium udl or perhaps shark skin or something and let it condensate all it wants.

A very low cost alternative may be cooley illusions, which is a single ply membrane with a shingle design imprinted on the membrane.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Super Moderator

IB roofing has the single ply membrane with the shingle patterns on them. I didn't know about Cooley.

Ed
Old 03-07-2009, 08:04 AM   #6

I have been offering the Gerard Stone coated steel shingle instead of the lifetime shingles because it only averages about 15% more than the asphalt lifetime shingle on a basic roof.On more cut up jobs the labor rises quick.

Serrano
Old 03-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
Roofing Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
IB roofing has the single ply membrane with the shingle patterns on them. I didn't know about Cooley.

Ed
I didn't know about IB having the printed patterns and that's something I might want to look into. LOL yesterday after spending a couple hours doing cut edge sealant on a tpo roof, I said to my production manager that we should switch to IB because they don't require cut edge sealant because their scrim is fiberglass, not polyester. He nodded in agreement and we both got back to work. LOL It'll probably end there too
Old 07-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #8

Trade: Project Manager/FRSA Disaster Response Committee/VFRSA

Metal panels. Check some of your prices, I can get some panels for less than shingles... labor makes it almost a wash. I offer to upgrade at no extra on easy houses.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by apehangeralfy View Post
Metal panels. Check some of your prices, I can get some panels for less than shingles... labor makes it almost a wash. I offer to upgrade at no extra on easy houses.
Which metal panel manufacturer do you use?

I used to use MBCI, Pac-Clad, and Berridge for most of any metal roofs that I did.

The nice thing about Berridge, was that you could rent their panel pump out machine and run your own panels right in their warehouse for just a $225.00 per day rental fee. It never took me longer than 2 hours to run whatever I needed. Then you just puy the coil roll for the per square foot cost, which at that time was pretty darned low, like around 72 to 78 cents per square foot.

Ed
Old 07-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
Roofing Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by apehangeralfy View Post
I can get some metal panels cheaper than shingles too... but not any quality I'd want on my home. Menards has some .019 (not auge, mills, same mill as trim coil) steel panels, the snap rib kind. Looks real cheap to me. It is cheap too. About 1/4 the price if I were to purchase some snap lock standing seam from 24 gauge Kynar.