Shingle tear off machine

Old 08-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #1

Trade: ROOFING CONTRACTOR

Shingle tear off machine

any body used or have coments about rapid roof remover ,

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Roofing Relapse

Re: Shingle tear off machine

Well, I think we have discussed this or other very similiar pneumatic products in the past. As far as I am concerned it's not really a time nor labor saver on the average job. If you watch the video they recommend you first cut up the roof in sections with a circular saw. I think someone said it best, perhaps Axiom, Roofing is made of of simple minds and cheap labor. Really I can see no cost savings with a tool like this for removing shingles.

Ok let's really think about it, it's useless on the really hard steep tear offs. EZ walk tear offs are simple and require labor yes, but not much overall time to remove. Let's see this in action on a 10/12.

I'd love to try it but don't wanna spend the bucks to try it. If they came to a job site and let me try it I would. Maybe on a 100 square shingle tear off you may experience some labor savings but any of us shingle roofs will tell you those are few and far between.

I am NOT saying it is a bad idea. Roofing tear off is HARD WORK, as we all know, however is this really that much easier? It'd be like setting up and using a compressor on a 1 square repair. Thatr seems il-logical. I have no first hand knowledge using this machine. Just call me doubting Thomas.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a laser or teleporter or somethign that'd tear off the shingles for us, perhaps robots? I drool at the thought.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Roofing Relapse

One more thing, if you watch the video where are their protection tarps and fall protections?!?!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #4

Trade: ROOFING CONTRACTOR

i bought a shingle shurker 14 years ago worst investment i made didnt work. had teeth that chew up the decking, i saw the video on this one . thought maybe. it might work. will not buy one until im for sure it the real deal. any body out there goy one.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOFMAX View Post
i bought a shingle shurker 14 years ago worst investment i made didnt work. had teeth that chew up the decking, i saw the video on this one . thought maybe. it might work. will not buy one until im for sure it the real deal. any body out there goy one.
They may have an opportunity to let you try one out on a job first before you buy it outright.

Ed
Old 09-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #6

Ah yes, the power stripper, the Holy Grail of roofersí tools.

There have been several attempts over the years, but most of them overlook a few key concepts. First of all is that a four foot lever (the shovel handle) is plenty of "machine" to pull nails, and it has no cumbersome hoses, cords, motors, or pistons. The problem is not pulling the nails, but rather gripping them sufficiently when under power.

In order to gain an advantage over a hand tool, the power tool must be able to apply large amounts of POWER to the task. Yes, one way would be to use a very wide (24 inch) blade Unfortunately, the wider the blade, the less it takes to entangle it, much like a long-wheelbase truck on rough terrain.

Here are a couple attempts at the "pop head" shingle shovel:
Lil Doozie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHA1VRlDVGU
Roof Razorhttp://www.roofrazorllc.com/

Hereís the super-wide version:
Rapid Roof Remover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDoz5v7qBBs

This beast also provides the thrusting action, better strap on that harness:
Demolition Demon
http://web.mac.com/easydaytools/Demolition_Demon/Welcome.html

There ARE some guys who have learned from the above lessons and have approached the solution from "outside the box"

This one is not a tear-off tool per se, but may well come in handy:
Rip Cart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c75tZzRkD9I&feature=related

Although application-limited, this one has some mighty impressive videos:
Shingles Peeler http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX5zz...eature=channel

My invention, watch the videos and judge for yourself:
Air Razor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8adWzQlJGoY

The best for last. Meet the king of tear off.
All hail the king!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkZZvDHTty4
Old 10-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #7

Trade: roofing accessories

The Red Ripper. Rip shingles and peel nails in seconds. Save 30% on labour. Reduce back strain. Only $60 for a shingle removal tool that will get the job done quickly and efficiently. http://www.roofersworld.com/redripper.htm
Old 10-08-2009, 07:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofingSafety View Post
The Red Ripper. Rip shingles and peel nails in seconds. Save 30% on labour. Reduce back strain. Only $60 for a shingle removal tool that will get the job done quickly and efficiently. http://www.roofersworld.com/redripper.htm
Not a bad looking shovel, your Red Ripper. I like the picket-fence teeth, theyíll work very well. I also like the reverse-blade and striking surface, they will get you through much adversity. It also looks wonderfully lightweight.

All it needs to be a great ripper is a reduced working angle, somewhere around 12-15 degrees. I donít mean to hack on your tool because it does have the best features of all the shovels Iíve tried, so please, bear with me.

Firstly, the most overlooked fact when designing these rippers is that most of the effort is expended on the thrust (slam) and NOT on the lift (pry). With a steep angle like that, you canít get your full body behind the tool, so the arms and upper body (back) tire quickly. Secondly, the lower angle will provide more REACH, which is very handy on a steep-staged roof. Third, the reduced angle will make both your reverse-blade and your striking surface more effective. Lastly, the suggested angle will make your tool one-handable for even more reach and great videos of guys running dual rippers!

Keep your fulcrum as close to the forward cutting edge as possible, leaving just enough lift to barely pull a spike. This will minimize effort on the pry and maximize sweet spot. Your current pattern looks pretty good on this.

For $60, Iím assuming itís a tempered steel blade so itís performance will last more than just a few roofs. You can go about 50 points of carbon without running into welding issues.

Yeah I know, you gotta change your tooling, but fix that angle and youíll have the best performance of all the many shovels on the market. Iíve been through it on my rippers, and can tell you that itís well worth it.

Good luck to you on your ripper. Hope to see you around.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #9

Trade: Shingles/Flat Roofing

The Red Rippers work well. It is all I currently use.
I work them hard and they seem to handle it, guys love them as well.

When I'm ripping I like to make small piles with the garbage then go back with the ripper and it doubles as a shovel. As long as the tear off is decent.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
Roofing Relapse

I had something similiar to the red ripper but nobody liked it, myself included.